Saturday, May 28, 2016

Memorial Day, Ship Block and CQ Cat


I would love to see the Draft so these young people have more respect for our country.
My Dad was a navigator and made it home from WW2 but many did not. He was shot down in France and some of the gunners in the belly of his plane didn't come home.


 
The next ship block.  The Bluenose is one of the most famous schooners in the world. She was built in Nova Scotia in 1921, and sailed the fishing banks off the cost of Newfoundland until she sunk on a reef near Haiti in 1946 in 1946. She was the centerpiece of Canada’s exhibition at the 1933 “Century of Progress” exhibition in Chicago, and its likeness is still found on the Canadian dime. On the quilt block, the Bluenose schooner is surrounded by a wreath of Canadian maple leaves. The wreath halves are joined by a stylized crown which is found on Canada’s national emblem

 Working on a strawberry plant in a crazy quilt block. I will have a beaded mouse added next week.


Blue Larkspur and yellow roses. These came up from last years seed.  Love Sweet Williams and has a fragrance.

Thank You for visiting me and love your comments. Looking forward to seeing all the beautiful projects people are working on at Kathy's Quilts    Slow Stitching Sunday ...http://kathysquilts.blogspot.com
 AND 
 Susan Flemming's Super Mom No Cape, Embroidery and Cross Stitch  on

10 comments:

Deb said...

Love your ship blocks, they are so inspiring. Your flowers are looking good and the crazy quilt block is just so pretty.

Quayceetatter said...

Thanks for the visit and leaving a nice comment!!! (:

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh yes... I was born in Nova Scotia, and we call people from there "bluenosers"!
Can't wait to see your progress on this block!

Quayceetatter said...

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a nice comment!! (: I am from Central NY and I always wonder why they were called that. Now I know! We have maple trees and made syrup, always remembered them for their bright leaves. There is one place over by Mountainair,NM where someone planted a grove in the mountains. Beautiful site in the fall.

Renee said...

This year, I am finding myself far more reflective today. I know so many that have lost loved ones defending their nation. I am glad your father made it home, but am so sorry for the losses he suffered.

Your block is looking great and your flowers are lovely. (I'm off to plant a few flowers now...)

Anonymous said...

I love the strawberries - great design for your cat block.

Quayceetatter said...

Thanks Renee for visiting me and leaving a nice comment!! (: It is so hard to grow plants that I have started and grow them in pots. The garden looks great and greenhouse is full of beets, spinach and radishes. Ate my first raspberry tonight!

Quayceetatter said...

Thanks CQ4fun for visiting me and leaving a nice comment!! (: Will post more on the strawberry design next week. Today I finished the leaves and added the white beaded rat.

CathieJ said...

Your quilts are very pretty. I really like the pictures of those beautiful flowers.

Quayceetatter said...

Thanks Cathie for visiting me and leaving a nice comment!! (: